DC's underground South Asian creative collective, Subcontinental Drift, is inviting you to Positive Exposure: The South Asian Experience Through the Camera Eye. From February 6th to Feb 28th, come experience South Asia and its diaspora—in all its colors, shapes and forms. Through the photos on display and the diverse events, Positive Exposure aims to take you into the streets, minds, and hearts of what we know as the "subcontinent."
Positive Exposure will show around 30 photographs, most of which were selected through an open juried competition. The participants were a diverse set of professional and amateur photographers, some of whom were local, but others were based as far away as Europe and South Asia. The remainder of the exhibition was chosen from a pool of photographs submitted by The Clean Hands Project, led by local photojournalists Jes Therkelson and Phoebe Gilpin. Therkelson and Gilpin trained Dalits (Untouchables) in Nepal to use cameras in documenting their day-to-day experience and the best of their work will be on display.
Subcontinental Drift was established in 2007 with the mission of fostering and providing a supportive and collaborative South Asian American community for creative expression, encourage the sharing and involvement of community events, and expose ourselves to new mind food. SD's mainstay is its monthly open mic--held at Bohemian Caverns-- featuring the "basement talents of the District's desis." To learn more about them, visit their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SubcontinentalDrift.
Additional programming presented in conjunction with the exhibitin include:
- Open mic event, featuring spoken word, comedy, and musical acts, February 12, 7 – 9 PM
- Discussion: “What keeps minorities from getting more access to mainstream art spaces?”, February 17, 6:30 – 8 PM
- “Art In Extremis: Positive Psychology in the Arts” with Gioia Chilton & Rebecca Wilkinson, February 19
- Carnatic (South Indian classical) musical recital featuring local artists Yaamini Lalitha Rao and Rangashree Varadarajan, February 21, 1 - 2:30 PM
- Clean Hands Project film screening and discussion on the plight of Dalits in Nepal, February 28, 1 - 3 PM